Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Stomach Pit

When a mother receives a phone call from her daughter stating that "some symptoms are back," the daily routine comes to an abrupt halt and the pit engulfs in the stomach. I guess I always have the pit, but sometimes it is less noticeable. Right now, it is ready to crawl up my throat and spew from my mouth!

So, tomorrow - Wednesday, January 6 - Heather is scheduled for an unexpected MRI because of her unexpected and certainly unwelcomed symptoms. I'm sitting here deciding what my next move is - to cry or to remain calm. To fight or to prepare. To believe or to question. Well, I have chosen to remain calm, fight the pessimism, and believe that God won't let the MRI be bad news. Our positive beliefs and actions have taken us this far; I refuse to think we are headed in a different direction.

Just received a call - MRI tonight at 5:30. I will keep you posted.

Such an abrupt ending, but I needed to do something other than write about my fears. I needed time to clear my head. I needed time to get back into focus.

We met Heather and Michele at Methodist Hospital for Heather's 5:30 MRI. Unfortunately, we all waited until 6:05 before Heather was called into the room. About 40 minutes later, Heather appeared. The technician could not /would not tell us anything - of course - but I did try to "trick" him into telling us something. He was too good. He did say to make certain we bring in San Fransisco's disc tomorrow morning because the radiologist will need to compare the two. Obviously, that means something is there, but it could be what was there on Dec. 8.

If I have learned anything these past 20 months, I have learned not to predict. First, medical science is unpredictable and most importantly, no one can predict what God has in store for us. Which takes me back to my positive beliefs, actions, and trust in God.

Within the next 12 hours, I believe my fears will be put to rest, we will laugh at our overly concerned behavior, and we will once again be thankful for the strength God has given us.

Sue

No comments: