Saturday, December 12, 2009

"Status Quo" = Good News

Another trip to San Fransisco, and we were blessed with another "status quo" report. At this time, Heather's tumor does not appear to be growing and appears to be surrounded by dead cells. We cannot ask for any better news.

We had a discussion with Dr. Chang regarding the vaccine that seems to be doing well in trials. Currently, UCSF is participating in a trial using the vaccine. However, unless Heather needs another surgery someday, she will not be able to use the vaccine because the vaccine is made from the patient's tumor. In addition, there is only one direction that Heather's tumor could grow for her to even be eligible for surgery. So, no growth = no surgery anyway. I'm all about keeping it "status quo."

We return in two months for another MRI and check-up. Someday we will have to wait three months between visits, but I don't know if we will ever stretch it longer than that - at least not for a LONG time from now. I know how blessed we are that Heather is doing well right now. I know others who are not doing as well, and my heart aches for them. But no one is without hope, and I believe researchers are making strides in the fight against brain cancer.

Heather has taken a little break from wedding plans, but we will start again after the holidays. Speaking of holidays, we are almost ready. I started my shopping with a specific list and before Thanksgiving, so I am almost finished. The house is decorated, the presents are wrapped and under the tree, and a few treats have been made and are in the freezer. I feel good :) I love the holidays - the lights, the music, the shopping, the decorating - everything! And getting good news is always a blessing.

Amy comes home late on December 23 and leaves on December 27, so our family will once again be together for the holidays. No matter how many gifts are under the tree, the best gift of all (other than health) is family being together. We truly appreciate and honor our gift of family and good news for this holiday season. From our family to yours, we wish you a happy and safe season of love, peace, and togetherness.

Sue

No comments: