Thursday, July 15, 2010

Letter to Cancer

I read a wonderful blog entry from a young husband and father who has brain cancer. He wrote a letter to cancer, with no intention of publishing it; but he changed his mind, and I am so glad he did. I read his letter and found strength in his determination to make his brain cancer take a back seat to his life. This man thanked cancer for giving him a new life - a better life. He now knows his God and he knows what is really important in life. He does not expect cancer to win in the end. Neither do I.

Heather is much like this man. She has not written a letter to cancer, but she has not given it a chance to rule her life. She put this demon on a back burner and never plans to use that burner again! It is O - V - E - R!

Next week we head to San Francisco for her bi-monthly Dr. Chang visit. As you know, I begin to start my jitters about two weeks prior, so I am in full-swing now. Actually, we are waiting an extra week this month because of Dr. Chang's schedule, so the anxiety is a little stronger this time.

But, sometimes things work for the best. My mom - Heather's grandma - passed away July 12, which would have been either a travel day or the day prior to travel if our schedule had been on time. Losing a loved one is something no one has to try to explain. Simply put: It hurts like HELL! I am so thankful I was at her side, so I'm happy our UCSF trip is a week later than normal.

Heather is doing very well. I think the steroids are finally OFF! She is working hard at her physical therapy, eating very healthy, and exercising regularly. I think good habits will equal good results.

She has settled into her new home and seems to be enjoying the new location close to us :) She and I try to walk our dogs together every night, which is a perfect "mom and daughter time." I am so blessed.

Please keep Heather in your prayers as we head to UCSF. I have learned our new way of life - waiting, waiting, waiting. But, when I hear Dr. Chang say the words "stable" or "no change," all the waiting is worth it. I turn to Heather, our smiles meets, and the hugs begin!

No comments: