Thursday, June 17, 2010

Summer Happenings

It has been awhile since I have written, and I think that must be "good" news. May ended my 25 year teaching career, so I was very busy preparing for my next "career": retirement.

My nephew is trying to make changes to the website, but he is having some technical problems. Currently, the site is not up-to-date and I cannot fix that. I am eager to get it fixed because I have some good news to share. Dr. Susan Chang will be coming to Omaha August 26 - 27 for the first Brain Tumor Symposium at Methodist Estabrook Cancer Center. LFAC is sponsoring the event, and I'm going to work to make certain it is a success. I met with several people to help organize the two-day symposium. August 26 will be dedicated to patients, family, friends, and caregivers. Topics will include the following: Diagnosis, gliomas (low and high grade), radiation, surgery options, trials, vaccine, and a question / answer session. Dr. Chang will spend the entire day with this audience. I'm so excited to offer her expertise to such a special group of people. August 27 is a medical symposium for medical personnel. Again, Dr. Chang will share her expertise and other medical doctors will deliver up-to-date information to the medical community regarding brain tumors. Methodist Estabrook Cancer Center will be promoting this event, so I will keep people posted. We are so excited about this opportunity!

Heather is doing well - so far, so good. She just moved into her new house, so she is keeping busy unpacking and decorating. We are so happy that she now lives close to us - about 8 blocks from us. We can take walks, help her with her dog, or help her with anything she may need. It is so convenient. She continues her physical therapy twice a week. I think it helps to keep her left side strong. The past month has been difficult for her for many reasons, and she continues to amaze me with her strength and her determination to face adversity head on. She is not going to waste her life, that is for certain! She remains my role model.

I have a special thank you to shout out: THANK YOU ROSARY! This lady has been sending Heather cards regularly for over two years. We have College World Series seats by Rosary, and we only see each other during the CWS. But she has made a lasting impression on our family with her continued support through prayer and cards. So, thank you, Rosary.

The third annual Monster Bash for Brain Cancer is scheduled for Thursday, October 28. Mark your calendars now. The KAT radio station is sponsoring it this year, so we are hoping planning the BEST Monster Bash yet: silent auction, door prizes, raffles, costume contest for adults and children, live band, and more. As always, all money raised goes directly to help with diagnosis, treatment, awareness, etc. for brain cancer at Estabrook Cancer Center. It remains our mission to make a difference.

I was watching Dr. Oz the other day, and WOW - he was doing a show on cancers. He discussed the 5 leading cancers. He started with symptoms and had someone try to guess the cancer. Well, brain cancer was #4 on his list of 5. As a reminder: A constant headache that is worse in the morning than later in the day or a headache that includes vomiting / nausea, a new seizure in an adult, unsteadiness or imbalance - especially with a headache, gradual loss of movement or sensation in a limb, or speech difficulty can be a sign of brain cancer. Get it checked out and demand an MRI if not satisfied. And don't forget about the second opinion.

No comments: