Saturday, May 16, 2009

Spirit of Phillanthropy

On April 28, 2009, Leap-for-a-Cure was honored at the annual "Friends of the Foundation" event. At first, I was not certain what it was all about, but the more I learned, the greater my appreciation.

So many people are deserving of such awards, and in our first year of fundraising, we were one of three who were honored. As I looked around the room, the magnitude of the event finally reached its peak. All I can say is "WOW!" Soon the DVD will be downloaded to our website.

Heather is doing well. She finished her chemo and has been off for two weeks. Her white cell count is down, so she had to have another Neupogen shot, and Heather HATES shots! She is tired all the time, but she still functions in a daily routine for about two weeks a month. During her chemo (5 days), she is exhausted and sleeps about 18 hours or more a day. Then she remains tired for about 10 days, begins to perk up for about 7 days, and then is good for about 6 days when her chemo starts over again.

One minor concern is that Heather is starting to have some headaches, but the oncologist thinks they are from sinus issues, not from brain cancer. Her next MRI is in about 3 weeks, so that is reassuring.

We head to SF in early June for a fun-day Thursday before the Friday of medical appointments. The trip is short as we return on Saturday. Our trips have become routine, so our biggest job is deciding what to do and where to go the day before the appointment. We are currently in our planning stages for this next visit. Michele is going to join us as well.

My friend Robyn and I are in the beginning stages of planning a "Bike for Brain Cancer" for the 2010 fall. We THINK we understand the amount of work behind it, but once again, we are probably naive, which in our case is good. I will have to keep you posted on this endeavor!

Thank you to the faithful who read about Heather's journey. I still feel it is part therapy for me to share my thoughts and ideas. I also pray that this blog continues for YEARS and YEARS to come because I won't stop until Heather is cured.

1 comment:

MNHS chicks said...

Sue, I read your posts regularly and really enjoy how you are keeping positive... as always, you are in my family's hearts and minds daily... Angie