Saturday, April 11, 2009

Happy Easter / Passover

Today is Easter. Even though my children are all adults, I still do the Easter baskets. I just finished; it is after midnight; and I am reflecting on many things right now. It is a good time to write.

Heather did not feel well this round of chemo. She was sick with a respiratory infection during her chemo week, so she had to wait a few days. She received her fluids three times instead of the usual two, but she still was nauseous and very tired. I was able to go with her to see Dr. Popa on Friday, and Heather's white cell count is down. We are hoping it is from the chemo and respiratory issues. She seems to feel OK now, so we are crossing our fingers that she beats this and her cell count goes up by next Friday.

She and I are headed to San Francisco again on Sunday, April 19 for the Tuesday, April 21 appointment. Since we always have to include two travel days along with her UCSF appointments, we are always gone for at least three days. So, we are leaving on Sunday so that we can have another "Fun-day Monday" as we had three months ago. Last time was Santa Cruz for the day; so it will be difficult to beat.

Heather's hair is growing back. If you remember, she lost her hair from the radiation, not the chemo. She still has a bald spot on the very top of her head, but the fuzz is there. I asked her today if she wanted to shave her head one more time, but she said no. I think she is planning on the top to fill in sooner than later. I suggested spray paint.

She is currently off of all steroids - 5 days to be exact. Now we are closely monitoring any changes in her coordination, her eye sight, etc. The symptoms that lead to the steroids proved to be from brain swelling, but we are choosing to believe that issue has been handled and is over.

I think we will feel better - as always - once we hear the words "status quo" in San Francisco. I have quit hoping for the word "shrinking" because I have accepted that it won't happen. But, "no new growth" is good news for us. There are some new treatments on the horizon, and we plan for Heather to benefit from them.

As this season of renewal begins, I pray for new hope and new beginnings not only for my daughter, but also for all who suffer from illness, fear, and despair. I pray for belief in what may seem impossible, for we all know that miracles do happen.

God Bless,
Sue

2 comments:

Michael erwin said...

I met you in the elevator yesterday at UCSF.
My name is Michael. I'm the
"almost" 15 year survivor.
14 years and 7 months to be exact.

:-)

Sue said...

Thank you so much for responding. You may not realize it, but you have given my daughter - and our entire family - more hope than before. For the past year we have approached this diagnosis with positive only thoughts mixed in with a little humor. But we never found much hope on survival until we met you! Fate / God works in mysterious ways, and I am so happy that we met you in that elevator. Please keep in touch every now and then; I will continue to pray for your health, courage, and success!
Sue